Monday 8 September 2014

One-bowl Blueberry Muffins

 

   Hey peeps! How's the week going? If you're in Alberta you're probably huddled in the feta position rocking like a newborn baby. It. Is. Snowing. Seriously? So gross. I have faith that the forecast will be better and I won't have to run into traffic. Sheesh.

   Grey started his first official day of kinder today, AND got his first loose tooth! So busy! Seems like the perfect morning to sleep in and then decide to bake something mid-morning? I do it to myself, but I can't help it! I know I wasn't alone today with the baking fever, the weather screams for it!

   Are there certain things or directions in a recipe that instantly are a deal breaker? If I ever used to see anything that had to be sifted, I was out. Or separated eggs. I am better now, but one thing that I just don't do is yeast/bread things. I have never been successful in getting it to rise (EVER) and I don't do well with cooking failure, so I stay away!

   One thing I do love about a recipe, and draws me to it, is one bowl. Toss it all in, mix 'er up and done! Easy, and little cleanup! It always seems like the times I decide to try a trickier recipe are the days that my kids decide to eat each other and light the house on fire. I like to pick and choose my battles. :) Today wasn't a day for anything complicated, if you know what I'm saying!!

   Try these blueberry muffins out when you have berries in the fridge you need to use up! I doubled the recipe and ended up with 24 big ones and 36 mini muffins. Kort likes the mini ones better, as they're easier to throw down and mash into the carpet. It's totally understandable. :)

   These froze really well and my family loved them. Perfect for lunches or when you need to whip something up really quick. And have I mentioned only one bowl? haha!! Let's cook....






Blueberry Muffins (single batch)

You need:
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg
2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 cup softened honey (more like 3/4 if you like sweeter) OR 1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cup buttermilk****
1 1/2 cups blueberries

**cooking HACK! If you don't have buttermilk on hand, measure out the milk, then add 2 Tbsp white vinegar to the milk and stir with a fork. Leave aside for 10-15 min, and voila- buttermilk!! :) (if it has some bits at the bottom, add those, too!)

pre-heat oven to 350

In a large mixing bowl whisk in the egg, honey, melted butter, and the buttermilk.

Add in the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. (sifting them in will give you a fluffier muffin)
Get in your arm day by whisking the mix until smooth. No over mixing!


Whisk in vanilla.
Slowly and ever so lovingly fold in your blueberries, using a wooden spoon. Try to look them over first and pick out any open or mushed ones- they will bleed into the batter making some kind of Violet Beauregarde mess, straight out of Willy Wonka.


Grease your muffin tins, and spoon the mixture in 3/4 full. (Same goes for the mini's, use a teaspoon and fill them 3/4 full.)

If  you're super lucky, you'll have a super yummy little helper on your side...


In the oven they go. The big ones were 13 minutes for me, little ones around 9/10. Know your own oven and keep an eye out. You can't go back once they are over done. The 'ol toothpick in the middle coming out dry is what we're looking for here. Try not to hit a berry! :)


And there you have it! You'll have the dishes done before the muffins are out! These freeze awesome, and are perfect for lunches or after school snacks.





original recipe pingback to "willworksforsmiles.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment