Sunday 8 December 2013

Asian Honey Chicken and Baked Spaghetti Squash

Hello! Long time no talk! I have had a crazy few days. I think that's the theme this time of year, isn't it? I saw this the other day and it made me laugh....


 Look familiar? This was made directly for my mom I think! I think it's pretty universal for all grandparents, actually.

   Yesterday was a long parenting day for me. As I was going to the kitchen to make breakfast, I set my Iphone down on my nightstand. My handsy little 1 year old decided to grab it and run like he'd just robbed a bank. We had no idea where, just that he took it somewhere. We then proceeded to look, for the better part of the day for it. I felt like I was naked all day.We don't have a land line, just cell phones. So when mine is gone, I feel like I'm missing my right hand!

   I looked in and went through more garbage's and toilet products than I care to mention. Every toy box, couch cushion and drawer was ripped apart! Still, nothing. I considered that he may of flushed it down the toilet. Crammed it down a heat vent. Out into the snow? When you become desperate, the mind will screw with you! After my panic attack was in full swing, I decided to start ripping rooms apart, one by one. After about an hour of violent cleaning in Grey's room, I put my hand to the bottom of his book rack , and there was my phone. Thank you, sweet baby Jesus. It turned my whole day into a cleaning fest, since I had everything ripped out at that point! Lesson learned. Again.

   On Thursday I made a really easy chicken rub/marinade and paired it with the baked spaghetti squash I posted on an earlier entry. I only had bone-in thighs, so I used that. I think any chicken you had would work fine. Just adjust cooking times. I let mine sit in the fridge for about 4 hours to marinate.
Super easy to do, and you don't need to fuss with it much.

Asian Honey Chicken:  (**note- this recipe requires a minimum of 2 hours marinating time)
You need:
6-8 bone-in chicken thighs or about 12-14 thighs
olive oil or coconut oil, aprox 1/2 cup
Dry rub:
3-4 crushed garlic cloves
4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp red pepper flakes or chili flakes
Glaze:
1 cup honey
2-3 tbsp rice vinegar

Grease a glass baking dish
Drizzle olive oil over chicken and sensually massage it into your chicken. Use love. No one likes their chicken without love.
Combine all rub ingredients in a small bowl, and go for round 2 of your massage session an cover the entire chicken pieces with the rub. Snuggle them all up in the pan and into the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.



Once the marinating is done, pre-heat oven to 375 for bone in thighs. Toss those bad-boys in and work on your side dish choice. Or get a coffee and watch Ellen for the next 45 minutes.
I baked mine for about 45 minutes, and let rest out of the oven about 10.
Glaze:
When chicken is almost done, mix the honey and vinegar over medium high heat until combined, 2-4 minutes. When you're basically ready to take out the chicken, start basting the tops of the chicken with honey sauce every minute or so for about 5 minutes.
Take it out and add the rest of the sauce to the tops if you like. You should have a pretty nice crispy top on the chicken by now.


You'll notice one is missing. Why do men have to be like that?
 We had the baked spaghetti squash with it and it was really good! I might use more garlic next time.


Enjoy!
Look this week for Buffalo Chicken and Eggplant "lasagna" , Italian stuffed Spaghetti Squash and Paleo herb buns. Good luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment