Monday 2 December 2013

Bourbon Chicken and Paleo Raspberry Jam Shortbread

Sweet Baby Jesus, what a winter storm!

   Is it storming where you are? Doesn't seem like it could be nice anywhere else! The wind is insane. I tried to open the patio door and it was snowed right shut! Brutal, but inevitable.

   I was supposed to have aerobics this morning. My husband woke me up to broadcast the great weather forecast, and told me my class was probably cancelled. I have been going to that class a long time, and it's never been cancelled. Don't tell me about my own class, I thought to myself. Got up, got dressed, dragged my kids out to the garage. Trudged through the snow across town to the class. It was cancelled. Awesome! God forbid they make a quick Facebook post or something to let a gal know! Not a good start to a blizzard Monday. All dressed up and nowhere to go!

   Since I was already geared up I decided to try and be a rock-star and attempt to do the treadmill while my youngest was awake. He's 16 months old. As you can imagine, it went so smoothly. He just sat quietly playing and minding his own business. Or else he shot my phone off the back of the treadmill after I almost Hulk stomped it, FaceTime'd with god knows who and possibly ate the fake present off my wreath. Whatevs.
 
   Being that we were housebound all day, I decided to try a Paleo shortbread recipe that I've been holding onto for a while. I am always skeptical with baking, and never alter or double a recipe on the first shot. I wish I would have! This one is a total keeper, and it doesn't get much easier! For supper I made Bourbon chicken with cauli rice and just some oven roasted asparagus. It was awesome. Kids liked it and it's super good leftover. I demand that you try these cookies. If you don't happen to have almond flour, did you know that you can very easily, (and much more cheaply) make your own? All you need is raw almonds and that lovely food processor I made you buy a while back! Toss them in that bad boy with your chopping blade and grind away, occasionally scraping the sides if needed, until you get a fine flour consistency! Not too long though. or you'll end up with almond butter. That requires being eaten immediately with a spoon, until gone.  :))

Paleo Shortbread with Raspberry Jam:

You need:
2 cups packed almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup butter- room temp
1 egg
jam or desired fruit filling (I used slightly pureed raspberries)

Creme your raw honey and butter together until smooth. (I used a hand mixer) Add the egg and salt and stir to combine.
Add the almond flour and mix well.  Using some saran wrap, swaddle that dough like a little newborn, and toss in the fridge for at least an hour.



Pre heat oven to 325
Take dough out and roll into one inch balls. Place onto parchment lined baking trays and thumbprint each one. Whoa, whoa. Gently! No need to ram your thumb to the bottom. 




Once that's done, take a small spoon and drop a bit of your fruit filling in each thumbprint.


Bake 12-14 min until tops are lightly browned. Don't be an impatient-Annie. Give these time to cool. They are heaven once the jam has set a bit. I will make these again, for sure!

original recipe pingback to "thesourpathisthesweetest.com"

Bourbon Chicken:
You need:
2-4 chicken breasts cut into larger bite sized pieces
2 tbsp coconut oil

Heat a frying pan with the oil over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook through, flipping often. Once chicken is done, remove to a separate bowl and start sauce in the same pan.
Sauce:
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup coconut sugar (sub for brown sugar if you like)
2 tbsp ketchup
1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup coconut aminos (sub soy sauce if you like)
1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) if you like a thicker sauce

Add all sauce ingredients up until the arrowroot. Saute to combine.
Stir in arrowroot, if using. 

Add your chicken back into the sauce and stir well to cover all meat.


Turn heat down and simmer until desired thickness is reached. Or until your husband is done snow-blowing the driveway for the 16th time in an hour. 
Use some of the sauce on top of the cauliflower rice or on the veggies. Voila! Enjoy!



Original chicken recipe pingback to "www.bigoven.com"


No comments:

Post a Comment