Tuesday 6 May 2014

Hawaiian BBQ Crock Pot Pulled Chicken

 

 Hey, everyone! How's the week going? Like it needs to be said again, but man this weather is a special treat! I was so cranky this morning first thing, when I saw the snow. All the kids want to do is be outside! Still rocking the winter jackets over here, how about you?? Ughhhh!

   We have been trying to clean out the house and garage a bit these last few weeks. It is seriously amazing what a secret hoarder I am. I feel like I do a good job at decluttering and getting rid of stuff, but I'm clearly a dirty liar. My kids have toys that they don't even know where they came from! This is partly due to my mother, who thinks it needs to be Christmas morning every time she comes over! And if you have kids you know how "fun" it is to try and sort through things with them around! I'm a "night tosser". When they go to bed you can find me walking a singing, blinking, flashing garbage bag to the dumpster! No one will have a clue. :)

   I am having a blast with my new camera, and I'm so glad we got it. It's so easy to just take pictures off your cell phone, but once they are blown up bigger, they look like ass! I can't believe the amazing photos I'm getting. You'll have to never mind the extra pictures I'm adding as I learn to stage and get better quality for you, my dear fans. HAHA! Or else just my mom and my friends that I force to read my blog and try my food. I will call those people fans and they can't stop me. :)

   If you've been following my glamorous life, you'll remember a while back I was trying to get Shane more on board with the slow cooker. I am finally winning. I got a new, bigger one at Xmas and it has a timer. It was the total key. I also think it's re-donk to cook anything on high in those things! Mine is done in less time than suggested, while on low. High is scorching, burning territory! I was waiting to do my shop for 15% Tuesday, so I wasn't left with much to choose from last night. I love a one dish, low prep meal. Such a good feeling in the morning to know you have supper on the go! Then I can enjoy my daily episodes of "Sid The Science Kid" and "Peg+Cat" without being bothered by cooking!! :)  Don't know what I'm talking about? You are one lucky bugger!
I also made a savoury crepe-type wrap to serve with these, I've blogged the recipe in my previous "enchiladas" post. Obviously store bought wraps will work just fine. But they are not needed, it's good with just a good old fashioned fork, too! :)

   Let's cook this mutha' up.....



Hawaiian Pulled Chicken:
You need:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts (I used 3 and it was plenty with leftovers)
2 cups salsa
1-1.5 cups bbq sauce (depending on taste)
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 can pineapple rings, drained-juice reserved
1 Tbsp smoked paprika (use regular if you don't have smoked)
sea salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheese and avocado for serving (optional)

Get out the 'ol crock pot and turn to low.
Add your chicken breast, season with salt and pepper and layer the jalapeno and pineapple rings on top.


In a small mixing bowl, stir together your salsa and bbq sauce. Add as little or as much of the reserved pineapple juice to the mix as you like. You can also leave it out, just depending on your desired flavor. Give it a taste without and add a little at a time to see what suits you.
Once you have it dialed in, add paprika to the sauce, mix and pour over the chicken to coat. No need to stir once it's in the crockpot, just use a spoon and spread it to cover the contents.

Lid on and keep it there! Mine was done in about 3.5 hours. Once the chicken easily pulls apart and is cooked through, shred it (right in the pot) with 2 forks. Basically just pulling it apart. Put the lid back on and turn off the heat. Let the shredded chicken rest in the remaining juices until ready to serve.


Boom! Done. How easy was that, right??? I mashed up a few avocados and served with some shredded cheese and plain Greek yogurt. It was amazing, although my salsa was a tad spicier than anticipated! It was a good sinus clearing meal, if nothing! :)



Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. That chicken looks absolutely delicious! Your take on the BBQ chicken is definitely a must-try soon. My mouth is watering, just by looking at the amazing pictures. Love your recipes!

    Douglas Gaster @ Controlled Color

    ReplyDelete