Sunday 4 May 2014

Sweet Potato Fudge Brownies

Well, rainy, cold.....snowy. Sigh. What a crappy weekend, outside! Congratulations Mother Nature. The Christmas Cactus plant on my counter is blooming. You win, you dirty bastard!

   This kind of weather makes me want to bake and cook all day. On Friday's we like to have a treat day. I don't cook dinner and we usually eat out or Shane brings something home. We decided to keep it pretty low-key this week because we've had a few big treats and meals lately, so we stuck with Subway.

   I felt awesome about my decision until later in the night when I started browsing recipes at 9pm. Bad choice from the start. All of a sudden I am on the dessert section of Pinterest and fading fast! I was almost headed to the pantry to see what I could pull together! I managed to reel myself back in a bit, but I DID end up batching up a half mix of my Macadamia Nut Crunch, that I posted around Xmas. It is soooooo good, we didn't wait the whole time to let it set! Sitting in bed, eating it from the pan with a spoon. If that's wrong, mama don't wanna be right.....

    Grey has been asking for brownies forever. I was searching, looking for a good one that wouldn't toss us all into a diabetic coma. Then I came across this one. Sweet potato as the base? Say whaaaaaaa? The old me would of been interested, but assume it wouldn't be good and carry on. Once you get good at baking, you'll never want to go back to store bought stuff- promise! And, you'll realize that all these extra ingredients aren't needed to make things awesome! These sweet potato's don't even need to be cooked first, just peeled and grated. They are very choco-delish and were even better the next day. A total keeper. And if you want to get totally chocolate-wasted, you could slap some icing on there and call 'er a day! :)

   A few things I want to mention before we make these bad boys.... If you are following my Paleo board on Pinterest, and see me pinning some things that don't make sense to the norm of the eating plan....no need to slam on the Paleo Police panic button and come unglued! Someone mentioned they wondered "how closely" I follow the Paleo rules. Most times if I see a recipe that looks good, I can change it around to fit more into our lifestyle. So, I'll change out the flours, or the oils and add or take away things. I know not everyone is Paleo, and all I want to provide is recipe ideas, and help with new ingredients and cooking methods. Simple, clean eating for busy families/people. Annnnnnnnnnnd I've now lost 90 pounds, so hush up and do what I say....:)

   I'm going to add a few extra pictures today because I'm learning my new camera and trying some staging techniques, so bare with me and don't drool on the screen...mmmkay?



Sweet Potato Fudge Brownies:
You need:
1 medium-large sweet potato (white or orange)

2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raw honey
generous 1/2 cup olive oil
1 heaped Tbsp baking powder
1/2 Tbsp baking soda
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (less for a milder chocolate flavor, if you're nuts :) )\
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup mini carob chips for sprinkling (optional)

Heat oven to 365
Cut ends off sweet potato and peel. Shred using a grater, just like you would a block of cheese. You want the same size as grated cheese, in strings. You want aprox.2- 2.5 cups of grated potato.


 In a large mixing bowl, add grated potato, eggs, vanilla, honey and oil. Stir in baking powder and baking soda, mix. Add cocoa powder ( I use Dutch dark), mix and then dump in the coconut flour.



Grease a smaller, square glass (if you have it) dish and pour the mix in. I think my dish was 8x8....


Sprinkle the mini chips on top, if using.
Into the oven for 30-35 minutes. The original recipe says 25-30 but mine were not near set at 30. So, knowing your own oven, start checking around 25ish minutes. Please don't burn these, I think there's a law regarding wasting chocolate.....?

Once your edges are a bit crusty and you're sure the middle is set, take out and cool on racks for 10-15 min AT LEAST.....before you try and get your greedy little hands on these buggers! They really do need some time to set, so you'll be getting cake crumbs if you mess with them early!

Once cool, remove the corner slice first, get a fork and cram it down your throat. Once your family gets their eyes focused on these, that'll be the last you see of them. May as well get a bite while you can......



These were totally enough chocolate "factor" for me, I didn't bother with the icing glaze. I wanted to get a picture of the cooked inside so I could prove to you, the amazing disappearing sweet potato shreds! Promise, you'll forget they are even there. Or are you already chocolate wasted and you forgot we even added those? Either way, yum. :)





original recipe pingback to "eatdrinkpaleo.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment