Monday 25 November 2013

Oven Roasted Chickpeas

Hello, everyone !! I am not dead. Close, but not yet.

   We just returned last night from a week in Mexico. It was a fabulous holiday , and we are very sad to be home ! I strongly recommend the Barcelo Tropica Palace, in the Mayan Riviera. It was so great, and we were treated like royalty.

   Did I stick to my diet? Did I bring my workout gear and not look at it once? I'll let you decide which question gets a yes and a no. I was very good in the beginning. I had such good intentions, its disgusting. Then I just fell apart. The buffet was calling me, and I let my boozy days make my decisions . We had to leave our youngest son behind at the last minute (he had croup) and were there only with our 4 year old. He's pretty independent and it freed up my hands a little , not having the baby there. Sadly, this did not fare well for my ass. I think it may of doubled. But, what does a gal do ? There's always the gym and routine, but there's not always a holiday. I do regret letting myself go so far off my path , but I'm home now and back in my game.

   That leads me to the "almost dead" part. I mentioned I didn't work out for, what ends up at 9 days. That's a long time when you've been pretty routine. I go to an aerobics class twice weekly. One day is devastatingly timed on Monday morning. Today. Let me tell you , she wasn't pretty.  Grey was protesting because he didn't want to go to the gym babysitters. I almost took it as a way out ! I felt too guilty.Off we went. Man, did I suck it !!! I was sweating about 5 seconds in, and hovering on a life-threatening asthma attack. I don't have asthma. I was sweating booze and tacos right from my pores ! Lesson learned, again. :)


   One thing that was positive in all this, is I was swiftly reminded how I feel , and stay feeling, when I eat like that. I feel like a gassy, bloated whale.The kind of whale that gets stuck on the beach in her bathing suit. My husband and I are both paying the price, and are suffering through the sugar / gluten detox. One night of drinking affects me to begin with, never mind 7. It's no surprise I'm up 6 pounds. I will forge on and pound water like it was my last glass. I hate to say it was worth it, but it was. :)


   I'll just add a quick recipe today, as I just got my fridge restocked and my mind refocused. Look for lettuce wraps and dry rubbed pork ribs, later this week.


Oven Roasted Chick Peas


You need:
1 can organic chickpeas (I just use Safeway Organics brand)
1-2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
2-3 tbsp (to your taste) Frank's Hot Sauce
sea salt to taste

Pre heat oven to 400
Drain and rinse your chickpeas in a strainer.
Dry them very thoroughly on paper towel. Important to get the crunchy texture!




Transfer them to a large mixing bowl, and add in your chosen oil. Mix to coat. Add your desired amount of hot sauce and mix. 
Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Cook at 400 for about 15 minutes at a time. Taking out to stir so they don't turn to charcoal. Depending on your oven and how crunchy you want, I do this for about 45 min to an hour. After about the 40 min mark, keep your eye on those little suckers, they go from still soft to burnt very fast ! Sprinkle with sea salt.

These are very similar to corn nuts. I love them on my salads, or just as a snack. Great for in the car. You can obviously leave out the hot sauce and add whatever spices you like. Garlic salt or chili's are fab as well.
Enjoy !



No comments:

Post a Comment