Wednesday 6 November 2013

Paleo Chicken Enchilada's

Mike.Mike.Mike.Mike.Mike. You know what day it is , Mike ? It's huuuuuuuuump day !!! Ha ha. Love that commercial. Hump day it is, approaching a long weekend !!

   We had a crazy day around here, today. Had our new fridge delivered this afternoon. These things can never just be easy. Why? We have an abnormal kitchen island that comes right in front of the fridge, making it near impossible to get anything in or out. Also, the cabinets above the fridge are too low, so it totally restricts the size of fridge we can choose. Whatevs. I was happy with the one we picked.

   Getting the old one out was not good times. Not to mention the assortment of "treasures" that a gal finds on top of and behind the fridge, once it's been moved ! We finally managed to get the old one across the kitchen and to the front door. They were planning to take the old one away with them.Super handy. What's not so super handy ? My loving husband telling me about this as he's on the way home to meet the guy here. Where do you just simply "empty the fridge out , ok? , as I was told to do . Did I mention I had 5 minutes? Counter tops filled with food . I can handle it for a few minutes. Then the new fridge won't fit . At all . Long story short , imagine your entire fridge and freezer emptied out all over the counters. Then they had to remove cabinets. So the contents of those were mixed up and mingling with my fridge contents. I'm having another OCD flare up , just writing about it. Needless to say , it took hours to clean up , and my afternoon snack was a giant coffee.

   Do you find it tempting to cave in and just order food on a hectic night ? Or make something that was off plan? Sometimes we just have to roll with it , and move on. I did still manage to pull off my enchilada's , but only because I had already roasted the chicken earlier today. That saved me ! This reminds me why preparation is the key for me. I need to have my head in the game , or I fall apart ! I'm a chronic "picker" , and if I let my blood sugar get too low , it's downhill on a toboggan for me ! A handful or something here,another there....sound familiar ? It adds up , and that's my downfall.

   Following is the recipe for the enchilada's , including homemade "tortillas" . This recipe , as most of mine are , is very adjustable to your own tastes. For the actual filling of the enchilada's , you can basically do whatever you like. Like I said , I roasted a fresh chicken , shredded it for the filling. The wraps are very similar to a "crepe" type texture / process . They can be made ahead of time and are great leftover. I suggest if you make them ahead , that you reheat them slightly, as they might be hard to wrap if they are cool. I split the batter and make a side one for the kids , adding cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice , so they can have a more crepe type version. Or call them "flat pancakes" if you are my son. I will provide both a regular and Paleo version of the wraps , if you're looking to try grain free. Enjoy !! Please comment and let me know if you've tried any recipes ! I love the feedback.



Paleo Savory Wraps

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2011/05/04/grain-free-tortillas/


Home made wraps using wheat flour :    (makes a lot , enough for a fam of 4)

4 eggs
2 cups wheat flour
1 cup whole milk (almond or coconut milk can be subbed 1:1)
1 cup water
2-3 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic salt*
oil to grease your pan (coconut or olive )

*depending on the flavor you're going for, add whatever spices you like.

Heat oven to 375.

Mix all ingredients together with a whisk until smooth , but still slightly lumpy .Don't over mix.







Warm up your fat of choice in a medium sized frying pan , over medium heat.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup , pour your batter onto the pan , and use the bottom of the 1/4 cup to quickly smooth down and spread the batter into a small circle. Just like pancakes , wait until edges start to pull in and middle is setting. Flip , and give it another 30-45 seconds. I like to keep them in a little tinfoil tent until I need them. Feel free to get 2 pans going at once . This is about the size of wrap I'm talking about.....


At this point, start to prep your filling , this is what I used....(you can assume all ingredients are organic , unless stated otherwise)
Filling :

Aprox. 2 cups shredded , cooked roasted chicken
1 cup corn kernels
3/4 cup black beans
1 red bell pepper , diced 
1/2 cup white onion , diced.
plain , full fat greek yogurt to garnish (sour creme to sub , if you like)
1 small can of pickled jalapenos (optional)
1/2 cup shredded marble cheese (optional)
aprox. 1 cup fresh salsa (as much as you want , enough to cover and moisten mixture)
cooking fat of choice  (I use coconut oil)

pre heat frying pan over medium to low heat.

Add all ingredients to large frying pan , stir to combine. Cook until heated through and combined. About 5-10 minutes. Take off heat and allow to cool.


Set yourself up a little assembly line type situation ! Wraps , filling and a greased glass baking dish.
Add about 2 tbsp (depending on wrap size) to the middle of each wrap , leaving room on the ends to tuck. Have you ever swaddled a baby ? Juuuuuuust like that ! Place seam side down in the baking dish. Cram them all nice and snuggly together. I like to sprinkle the jalapenos on top , with some more beans and some shredded cheese for the huzzie. Don't worry if they aren't wrapping perfectly , or don't look like a pinterest photo ! We usually eat them knife and fork styles if they start to come apart. They are so delicious , you won't care anyways !! :)


Once you have used up all your wraps , toss them in the oven for about 10 minutes , until heated through and cheese is melted . (assuming you used that). Voila ! Serve with some sliced avocado , if you like !!



1 comment: